2011 Pacific hurricane season

posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:13 AM by Tom Kachelman   [ updated Jul 12, 2012, 10:15 AM ]
The 2011 Pacific hurricane season is an event in the annual cycle of tropical cyclone formation. The season officially started on May 15, 2011 for the eastern Pacific, and will start June 1, 2011 for the central Pacific, both of which will end on November 30, 2011. These dates conventionally delimit the period of each year when most tropical cyclones form in the Pacific basin. However, the formation of tropical cyclones is possible at any time.

On May 19, the Climate Prediction Center released its pre-season outlook. The scientist stated a 70% chance of a below normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of an above-normal season. The climatologist expected 9-15 named storms, with 5-8 becoming hurricanes, and 1-3 becoming major hurricanes.<!--more--> The accumulated cyclone energy was expected to be 45 to 105% of the median. The below-normal activity forecast was because of increase wind shear and La Nina conditions at the beginning of the season. However, they urged people to prepare for the hurricane season.

The following names will be used for named storms that form in the North East Pacific in 2011. Retired names, if any, will be announced by the World Meteorological Organization in the spring of 2012. The names not retired from this list will be used again in the 2017 season.

    Adrian (unused)            Irwin (unused)            Ramon (unused)
    Beatriz (unused)           Jova (unused)            Selma (unused)
    Calvin (unused)            Kenneth (unused)       Todd (unused)
    Dora (unused)              Lidia (unused)            Veronica (unused)
    Eugene (unused)          Max (unused)             Wiley (unused)
    Fernanda (unused)       Norma (unused)          Xina (unused)
    Greg (unused)             Otis (unused)             York (unused)
    Hilary (unused)            Pilar (unused)             Zelda (unused)

This is the same list used in the 2005 season.

Original published on: Jun 1, 2011 @ 3:25